2024-04-18

Magna Via Francigena - Castronovo di Sicilia to San Giovanni Gemini

Should have been an easy day in theory - ended up 15.5 km with 500m ascent and descent, but some of it was within San Giovanni Gemini. However, it was hot, the route was hilly, so it was still a bit of a slog.

Castronovo di Sicilia city hall

A church in Castronovo di Sicilia



The route had some interesting cliff formations along the way.




I meet a British hiker going the opposite direction, she has had a bad experience with a pack of aggressive dogs near Sutera. She wasn't bitten, but thought she came close, and had to find a stick and throw rocks to deal with them.

Cammarata

My B&B, Cortile Suez, is really nice, and the proprietress kindly offers me some food to cook when I arrive during the afternoon when everything seems closed. I decline though, I will take a nap first and then look for a supermarket and a restaurant.

I have so far met many nice locals here in these small towns, both in shops, and just along the way - many stop to have a bit of a conversation, ask how I am doing and where I'm going in a kind, non-inquisitive way.

At Castronovo, I tried to buy one apple for breakfast at a fruit shop, and the lady refused to take any money and insisted it is "un regalo".

B&B in San Giovanni Gemini

San Giovanni Gemini



I have a nice swordfish for dinner at "Ohana", and the freshly baked bread with local olive oil to accompany it is a fantastic combination.

No comments:

Post a Comment