2024-04-18

Magna Via Francigena - Trapani-Birgi to Palermo to Santa Cristina Gela

I wake up at 3:45 and get to the airport for the uneventful 5:45 flight to Trapani-Birgi.

We land 20 minutes early. The airport at Trapani-Birgi is very small. Seemingly, just one cafe and a large number of car rental desks.

I have a bus booked for 10:30, and I think I cannot make it to the earlier one - and I have not planned for it, so I don't even know when it leaves, but I walk to the bus stop anyway.

The bus is there! Leaving in a few minutes!

I already have a ticket bought online for the 10:30 bus, and instead of buying another one, I decide to just try to board. I get a non-committal "bene, bene" from the driver! I think it might be common that later tickets work for earlier times on the same day.

I arrive at Palermo early!

Arches near Palermo cathedral

I walk to the hostel to get the credential (the document to collect stamps on for the MVF), then to outdoors shop to buy hiking poles (closed), then to various churches and other prominent buildings, then to bus stop to buy tickets to Santa Cristina Gela, then again a long loop to more prominent buildings and a market.


Quattro Canti

I stop at a small cafe for an espresso. The lady working the counter is singing along to Eros Ramazzotti's "Più bella cosa" and the tune gets stuck in my head for much of the remaining week.

Palermo cathedral

I have lunch at a nice place called "Trattoria no zu Totó e niputi", "pasta con sarde", pasta with sardines and anchovies. It is objectively good,  and I would rate it as "interesting", but I will probably not take it again, it just wasn't my cup of tea.

Palermo cathedral entrance

I visit a small mafia museum "No Mafia Memorial" which is interesting, and reminds me of reading books about Don Camillo and Peppone as a child.

I walk back and take the bus to Santa Cristina Gela.

Overall, Palermo is nice and I enjoyed my day there, but I am keen to get on the MVF and start walking in the Sicilian countryside.


Villa Bonanno park

In theory, the Day 1 of the MVF is actually walking from Palermo to Santa Cristina Gela, but the route seems to be on roads, through suburbs and not that pleasant, and I have woken up really early, and walked 13 km already, so I decide to skip it.

Street market in Palermo

I reach the B&B in Santa Cristina Gela and get checked in successfully. The room is fine and I sleep well.

No comments:

Post a Comment