2024-04-18

Magna Via Francigena, Sicily, Italy, April 2024

In April 2024, I did a one week's hike along the Magna Via Francigena (henceforth - MVF) long distance trail in Sicily, Italy.

Leaving Sutera

It wasn't the whole MVF, which nominally runs from Palermo to Agrigento across the Western part of Sicily, as described on the very useful official website. The other recommended resource is the Facebook group.

To adapt the MVF for the time I had available, I skipped the first section from Palermo to Santa Cristina Gela (as it seemed to mostly go on roads), I walked "normally" to Sutera (skipping the Santo Stefano Quisquina detour), and then went from Sutera to the closest railway station at Campofranco:

High level overview, in the context of Sicily

For me, the MVF ticked a lot of boxes, as:

  • I really enjoy travelling in Italy, especially in the country-side. Welcoming people, excellent food and great scenery.
  • The weather forecast for the week I had available for a vacation was good - warm and sunny.
  • I could easily get there with a direct flight to Trapani-Birgi (IATA: TPS).
  • I could plan the route in a way where I could get to the start and end points using public transport.
I have split the description up into shorter write-ups, and linked to all of them here:

No comments:

Post a Comment